View Member List

News: If you are under 13, your parents need to sign  this form before you can post in the forum.

Author Topic: Time online  (Read 2937 times)

Offline bulle_sweet

• View Profile

Hey emerald i think that this has been brought up before but I think the timer that says how long you've been logged in is going too slow maybe. I've just used almost 3 hours on a picture and i know it doesn't count when you change window, but i still have used 2 hours active in the maker, but the timer only counted 35 min.  :-\
My Dream is my Goal
My Fantasy is my World
My Reality is Nonexistent

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

I honestly don't know what could be causing that... I know that if you stop moving the mouse for a bit, then it stops counting. But if you where active the whole time, then I am not sure what is going wrong.

Booradley is working on a massive overhaul that will completely change the way the "back end" of the site works. We are hoping that that will solve some of these old bugs that we haven't been able to track down ;)
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

Offline bulle_sweet

• View Profile

Okay, thanks for answering  :D
My Dream is my Goal
My Fantasy is my World
My Reality is Nonexistent

Offline Flowersunshine

• View Profile

Em, do you think you could put a sort of timer on a magic maker? Like with many online games they keep track of the time you spent on a puzzle or something like that. If you could add that to the maker then you could also make a 'pause' button. Thus you can have a break of working on your picture and actively stop and activate your time, that would make it more accurate.
I suddenly realised that I use flowers alot, and actually called it my signature. So TADAA:

With lots of thanks to Dragonlord Daegen for making my beautiful signature!

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

I could ask boo about putting in a timer... though it could not be accurate in the way some of those could, since you might work in six different makers building assets before starting that final picture.

We probably won't have a pause button though, we are just going to give you guys the ability to have one saved "in progress" pic. So you will be able to close the maker, then reopen it later and keep working ;)

Offline Flowersunshine

• View Profile

That would be a great improvement already :) But I often have open a dozen tabs between which I switch constantly. It would be a little useless to save the picture simply to check my facebook for a second :P But I would definitely still love the option, if only because it allows to save and 'in progress' pic, which can be very useful!
I suddenly realised that I use flowers alot, and actually called it my signature. So TADAA:

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

fair enough, but if you switch tabs... our maker already knows that you are not "active". So if it was timing you, it would not count that ;)

Offline Flowersunshine

• View Profile

Yes, but I have the feeling that it doesn't start counting again unless I play for longer strokes. :P

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

It counts even short times towards the next time... but I think that the forum itself is sort of glitching out. Right now, every page on this site counts as a page of the "forum". Unfortunately, we didn't code the forum, we just modified a free one. It came with a lot of problems that we didn't anticipate and are just too big to fix... but that is what is counting your time online.

(Emeralds earnings are calculated by different code that is more reliable.)

Boo is coding the new site and forum completely from scratch, which should make everything better ;)

Offline EveOfTheTardis

• View Profile

I have found that as well as the timer being slow it also gets confused if you leave the site without logging out. I must have racked up thousands of hours and days in the last few years since I came on here yet because I barely ever log out it only says I've been on for 6 days, it only goes up you see when I log out and back in then log off again. Could you sort this Em because my laptop refuses to log me in sometimes so for me it is best not to log out.
Not all those who wander are lost
--> http://nicnic09.deviantart.com/ <--

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

@nicnic, do you need to log out or can you just refresh/move to a new page?

I am always logged in and the timer is right for me. Though it doesn't seem to update unless I move to a new page or refresh. (It basically only checks your time online when the page is loading.)

What browser do you use?

Offline EveOfTheTardis

• View Profile

google chrome (i think) and do you mean i should refresh between making pictures then?
Not all those who wander are lost
--> http://nicnic09.deviantart.com/ <--

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

You shouldn't need to... the visual display doesn't update, but the program is still keeping track. I will talk to boo about some way that we can try to test to see if it is timing things correctly :)