Author Topic: Making pieces larger in fullscreen  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Olive the Dragon

• View Profile

This is just something I noticed and now I'm wondering about it.

When you enlarge a piece in fullscreen view, it doesn't seem to get as big as when you enlarge it in normal view.

Comparison:

There's a normal circle, then the fullscreen, and then non-fullscreen.
Also, if you go into fullscreen again and click the non-fullscreen thing it turns back into the small version.

dunno if this is a bug or not or just fullscreen being a derp
and this might've been around for a while
but i use fullscreen a lot and now i'm all like "wait those things can go bigger?? ? ? ??"
\_(ツ)_/

hey i don't go on here that much anymore
ea discord: https://discord.gg/WNG4rk3

Offline BrownieKat

• View Profile

SO WEIRD.... I was just gonna say I made the same thread a day or two ago but I can't seem to find it :P Well, maybe it glitched or I forgot due to my STM... But so weird, i can remember it so well making that thread about this very same glitch and posting it!

I also mentioned that when you make a piece larger in normal screen and then go to full screen and click it then it shrinks back it it's small size :P

Memories... they're so fresh! I know I made that thread xD Link it if you find it?

EDIT: You posted the exact same sentence :P *head explodes* I think there's some sort of paradox going on here o-o
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:04:42 AM by Sophie0291 »
The chance of getting a male dragon on Dragon Cave is 85%. I am lacking female dragons there...

Offline EveOfTheTardis

• View Profile

Lol, better not create a paradox or it could blow a hole in the space time continuum  ;D
Not all those who wander are lost
--> http://nicnic09.deviantart.com/ <--

Offline Olive the Dragon

• View Profile

o_O

what if in an alternate universe your thread was posted correctly but mine wasn't, and then i posted on yours like you did here

aaa shh
let's not talk about it or we might cause a big bang 3

Offline BrownieKat

• View Profile

Big Bang 3? When was the Big Bang 2? In Family Guy? xD lolreferances
The chance of getting a male dragon on Dragon Cave is 85%. I am lacking female dragons there...

Offline EveOfTheTardis

• View Profile

Big bang 2 was the big bang the Doctor did to reboot the universe (series 5 eps 12/13)
Not all those who wander are lost
--> http://nicnic09.deviantart.com/ <--

Offline BrownieKat

• View Profile

I don't watch DW, but there was a similar episode in Family Guy... well, nevermind xD

Offline UnicornCrazy

• View Profile

Oh god the paradoxes. xD Dudes, please, try not to blow up the space-time continuum!

Anyway. I have a theory about why this is happening.

I think - and I can't verify this theory as I don't have the code - but I think that the maximum size is set by pixel size, NOT percentage size. As the pieces take up more area pixelswise  in the fullscreen mode than in the normal mode, this means that in fullscreen they can't be scaled as large in comparision to the image as when in normal mode, due to the pixel size hard limit instead of the variable percentage limit.

And if anyone else can make sense of what I just said I'll be surprised. I didn't word that very clearly. xD

EDIT: I just went and tested my theory, and I seem to be exactly right.
What I did to test was this:

1. In normal mode put a piece to maximum size and screenshot it. NOT save, SCREENSHOT. PrtSc key.
2. Put that screenshot into paint.net. paint.net is an art program that tells me the exact pixel size of a selection.
3. Select the piece in paint.net, using a selection box to exactly select the dimensions of the piece. 81x86 pixels.
4. Copy piece in paint.net and paste it on it's own back into a new layer in the image.
5. go back to the maker and go to fullscreen mode. Click on the piece to set it to the maximum size for fullscreen mode.
6. while still in fullscreen mode, take another screenshot.
7. Go back into paint.net and paste the new screenshot on the layer under the previous piece. Position the pieces to be beside eachother.
8. I didn't even need to use the selection box. THE PEICES ARE THE EXACT SAME SIZE IN THE IMAGE FILE!

This means that I must be correct. This glitch is occurring because the maximum piece size is hard-coded as a pixel dimension size. 81x86 for the piece I used. (One of the pockets in the female fashion maker)

A theoretical way this glitch could be fixed is by somehow telling it to get the default size for the piece, and then applying a percentage scalefactor to that as the maximum size instead of the hard pixel size, thus creating a variable maximum size that would scale according to the size setting of the maker. This would probably be complicated for Boo to code, but it would fix the issue if he could do it.

EDIT2: It's worth noting that I sometimes use the zoom function on the entire page instead of the fullscreen mode to get closer in on fiddly little pieces than I otherwise would. This glitch occurs then too, backing up my theory that it's because the maximum size is a hard-coded pixel size, instead of a variable percentage size.

EDIT3: I saved and uploaded the image with some explaining text so here:

EDIT4: I messed up the typing in the image so I had to do an awkward correction. xD
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:26:35 AM by UnicornCrazy »
The Hiakan Solarsystem.
The only truly inherently bad and destructive thing that exists is hatred. Everything else has the ability to be used for good, even violence has it's place. But hatred is incapable of causing anything but harm.

Offline Olive the Dragon

• View Profile

dude.
that is a magnificent (and extremely plausible) theory.
how.
/speechlessbrb

Offline UnicornCrazy

• View Profile

I had spare time, and the logical side of my brain managed to engage. Combine that with a decent knowledge of computers...

To be honest I'd had the theory for a little while, just as an abstract thought. Just happened to decide to test it that day since I found this topic. It kinda just came about. xD It's the sort of thing I just... Do.
The Hiakan Solarsystem.
The only truly inherently bad and destructive thing that exists is hatred. Everything else has the ability to be used for good, even violence has it's place. But hatred is incapable of causing anything but harm.

Offline BrownieKat

• View Profile

Wow, this surely could help Em to fix the bug :D

Offline UnicornCrazy

• View Profile

I hope so! ^_^

And I've got to think it's possible to fix, because the size that the piece is when you first bring it in, scales correctly. So I'm thinking it should be quite possible to fix when they next do a maker overhaul. :)
The Hiakan Solarsystem.

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

Ya, the bug is just because the scale is based on a pixel size and we were not really testing in full screen while we made it.

Boo knows how to fix it, it just is kind of a pain to update the makers. It shouldn't be a problem in the new one. If we forget to fix it, and you notice it after we launch the overhaul, mention it in the first few days when we are still tweaking/updating it :)
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

Offline UnicornCrazy

• View Profile

Yay my deduction was correct. xD I did my moment of sherlocking well. ^_^

and okay lol. :) I'll deal with it until you next do a maker overhaul. xD
The Hiakan Solarsystem.