View Member List

News: Wondering where the treasure pieces are? Try visiting your hoard.

Author Topic: VERY IMPORTANT!!  (Read 1025 times)

Offline EveOfTheTardis

• View Profile

Emerald, Boo, Raev,

This site is usually totally child friendly including adverts, but a Durex advert just popped up in the top rectangle advert box!

I thought you should know.
Not all those who wander are lost
--> http://nicnic09.deviantart.com/ <--

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

Gah, Sorry about that. The problem is that google ads are based on the people who use your computer not on what we choose.

That means if a person using your computer has searched on google for engagement rings, they might start seeing pics of wedding dresses in that ad slot. Or if they have looked up things that 20 year old single guys normally search for, they will start getting ads that target that demographic. So for example if someone on your computer looked at bachelor suits, a concert somewhere, some hoodies, and some "guys" games... google might think you are a man in your twenties and would like a durex ad.

We can block specific ad URLs, but we have to know them to do that. (And we do specify in our account that it is not suppose to have adult content, but durex might get around that. That is the kind of ad that you are allowed to post in public on buses and stuff so google might not think of it as "adult".)

We will go check our ad settings right away though and see if there are any other settings we could change to improve things :(
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

Offline EveOfTheTardis

• View Profile

Thanks, I don't have a clue what might have been google searched on here to make that ad show up, I use this laptop most and mostly I'm on here or my blog or facebook.

Thanks for looking into this, if I am the only person who can see it I don't really mind, I am an adult so can cope with seeing it, I just hope kids can't see those ads.
Not all those who wander are lost
--> http://nicnic09.deviantart.com/ <--

Offline Emerald

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • HeatherLeeHarvey.com

I really hate how the ad thing works, I was much happier with no ads at all but when we had to start paying to keep the site up (we were too big for a free site), we had to do something.

I am constantly looking for ad solutions that are better for our audience, hopefully I will find one. For now, we will double check all our settings :)
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier