View Member List

News: If you are under 13, your parents need to sign  this form before you can post in the forum.

Author Topic: OC Step-by-Step process!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline AngelSock

• View Profile

I use this process for my own characters, and since I felt like this was helpful, I'm posting it here :)

1) Inspiration! Is there a type of music/movie/video game that inspires you? Or do you have some figurines or toys that you loved as a kid, perhaps that you still have? Maybe you have a favorite animal? Using these things as the basis for your character is a good idea if you can't make one just from your head.

2) Doodling! Once you have an idea of what you want to look like, experiment with various doodles and sketches of an appearance you find easy to remember and fun to draw. No one wants a super-complicated OC that they have to look at a reference of their own character! I suggest starting with a head, then building the body down from there. Sketch individual parts, then sketch the body as a whole. (Or if you use the makers, take different animal heads and parts and experiment with the skewing options and mixing together lots of parts until you find something you like.)

3)** Personality! When you make your OC, or you have their appearance in mind, start building a personality. What things do they like/dislike? Do they have any pet peeves or nervous ticks? What do they do as a norm?(By "norm" I mean jobs, hobbies, etc.) Are they friends with everyone, antisocial, or somewhere in between? Favorite foods, favorite activities? This can be very rough at first, but that's alright! Working with your character's personality is what makes it interesting, and fun to create again!

**steps 2 & 3 may be switched if you would prefer to build your character around a personality instead of just an idea.

4) Rough Design! Once you have your character's appearance laid out, and their personality planned, make a "rough draft" of them. Choose a color palette, and create a picture that depicts their personality well, with no backgrounds or extras at first. Make sure you only focus on the character. Here is where you'll decide what should be changed and what you want to keep, so think for a while! Explore possibilities!

5) Final Design! Create your character again, and finalize all your additions. Add accessories now, and play around with their placement--just don't go overboard on the earrings, scarves, or anything else you might add. You wouldn't want your character to overburden you when you draw them! Play with your character's color palette as find things that slightly contrast so that they "pop".

6) Yay! You did it! Yes, you've done it! Go play with your new character and see if you can add more to them that you like! Don't be afraid to change them slightly over time!

And there you have it! A process!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:38:17 PM by AngelSock »
Owls are amazing.
Talk to me about gore, dragons, dinosaurs, and hedgehogs!
Also, tufted deer are amazing too.

Offline Ro

• View Profile

Yay! I never followed a good process before, here's what I used to do:
design a character.
Give it a name.
make up the rest as you go.

Offline BrownieKat

• View Profile

I'm having the same problem again... I thought I made a perfect oc but then I get bored, create another character, get bored again and so on... :c I wanna have one perfect oc who I will never get bored off...
The chance of getting a male dragon on Dragon Cave is 85%. I am lacking female dragons there...

Offline PandoraTheDragon

• View Profile

I tend to make characters while listening to music.
Icarus was originally inspired by the song Chocolate by 1975 and he was gonna be really adorable and have a sailor hat but then something happened and he turned into the bad-mouthed, smoking magpie dragon we see today.
LMD (unnamed luna moth dragon) was inspired by a bunch of feel-y Evanescence and became a more emotional character.
active since 6/23/2013
DEVIANTART

Offline AngelSock

• View Profile

What Pan said is a good idea. Make a character you can be attached to. Deidra used to be the embodiment of everything negative about me.
Then I made her a power-hungry psychopath.
-shrug-
Owls are amazing.
Talk to me about gore, dragons, dinosaurs, and hedgehogs!
Also, tufted deer are amazing too.

Offline Ro

• View Profile

Offline UnicornCrazy

• View Profile

*Looks at new character*

... Personality may have become the last step on this one? xD Unusual for me... Usually I base everything around their personality. This time the whole character stemmed from an outfit idea. xD I have done literally all the other steps (besides naming) with no clue of what her personality is like. xD I EVEN HAVE A VAGUE IDEA OF HER STORY and I still am not sure what she's like personality-wise. xD

Aaand all her clothing is black. I mean ALL of it. xD With a few steel bits and the gem on her necklace is red. xD I think it's a ruby. Or maybe a garnet. Probably her birthstone? *searches birthstones*

I'm building this character more as I type. xD

*EDIT* if the gem is either a garnet or a ruby, and is her birthstone, that means the character was born in either January or July.
Imagination? Hello? A name and personality might be a good idea about now? xD

EDIT: picture approved now. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:36:00 PM by PonyLove »
The Hiakan Solarsystem.
The only truly inherently bad and destructive thing that exists is hatred. Everything else has the ability to be used for good, even violence has it's place. But hatred is incapable of causing anything but harm.

Offline PandoraTheDragon

• View Profile

Most of my characters have Greek deity names
(Pandora, Leo, Icarus, Artemis)
Others have word-names
(Sadwolf, Skullface, Wrath, Boar)
Some have made-up ones
(Cybe)
aaaaand some have hooman names
(Charlie)

buuut i still have unnamed charries
(Luna Moth Dragon/LMD, Owl City Dragon, Unnamed Red Panda/Panda Artemis)
active since 6/23/2013
DEVIANTART

Offline Ro

• View Profile

Offline PandoraTheDragon

• View Profile

@ro
:DDDDD
i like yours toooo
omg comet is a qt
and so is amberrrr
active since 6/23/2013
DEVIANTART

Offline Ro

• View Profile

So happy I got the comic up! I ♥ Comet. We should start up VH again soon.

Offline Little Tiger

• View Profile

lol very good tut!
Awesome!!

AWESOME